Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Cinderella Part II of III

Dapper Day @ Disneyland


Well, I have to be honest and say that I had this post all written up and it was almost completed.  Then I went to preview it and the program froze.  I refreshed to reset it and it had reverted back to the state it was before I'd started writing that day; just photos.  

For me this kind of thing is rough.  It took away all of the inspiration to write this post up for you, because I'd already done it it once.  Now I feel like it might loose some of it's luster.  Please bear with me and if it doesn't glitter, keep in mind that the next posting will not have this problem.  I'm still very excited to share with you the big Cinderella movie experience!

Part II


The weekend of the event had arrived!  All my costume preparation came to fruition and even though I still had some last minute sewing to do, I had a little bit of time to do it, no problem.  I started the weekend at the Women's Retreat for my church and was to end it with a day at Disneyland.

Side note: I've yet to complete a single costume anytime but the night before or day of it's first event.

After the evening retreat meeting the night before the big day, I went back to my cabin and put my hair up in pin curls to prepare it for the next day and then sewed on the last of the tiny seed beads detailed in the "Part I" posting.

The next morning I took my curls out and every bit of it just fell out flat.  I looked like a lioness for maybe 10 minutes and it went ever increasingly flat from that moment on.  It was a rainy day, so it made sense.  I put up the front in a tiny bouffant so that it would be out of my face.  If I hadn't I'd be frustrated with it all day.  I added in the tiny little stick on rhinestones I got from Michaels crafts and stuck them randomly all over my hair.  (They actually stayed all day and I had to yank them out in the evening before bed)

Getting dressed and ready, then driving to Disneyland from retreat went smoothly and before I knew it I was parked and heading into the happiest place on earth.

I was to meet a new and dear friend to spend the day with her.  We have just started to get to know each other, but it's like we've known each other for a long time.  I made a dress for her for this event and got to know her through the process. (There will be a posting about her dress soon).  Upon arrival I contacted her and her fiance and found that they were about to board the pirate ship in the Caribbean.  I parked myself at the exit and waited for them to disembark.

While waiting I ran into these cool cats, I mean dogs....lol

Cruella Deville gender bend and Perdita and there lovely friend in blue.  I'm not sure if she was themed, but if she was I'm so sorry I didn't catch it.  We took some photos all around, me of them, them of me.



Then I joined up with Sarah & Justin for getting the day started.  We embarked the Jungle Cruise first. It's one of my favorite ways to start a day at the park.  Relaxing while being filled with quick witty humor.



Then on to Fantasyland, which is the most fitting place for a Disney princesses to be.  We ran into this lovely lady on the way.  Her good friend made her Cinderella gown for her.  Isn't she lovely?


On our way through the castle gates we decided upon taking the carousel the rest of the way.  The noble steeds were ready and waiting for us to ride off into the kingdom with them.



We rode Pinocchio's ride after that, stopping to take photos with this lovely stained glass window at our backdrop.  While we were on the ride we designed and talked about doing Pinocchio themed gowns.  The little dutch girl and show girl puppets with Justin maybe being Jiminy Cricket, or Pinocchio or something fun like that.


We also ran into a woman I met at the last Dapper Day.  We were talking to each other, Sarah & I about how lovely her light yellow eyelet fabric dress was and how it looked like it might be quilted too when it dawned on me that I knew her.  I called out her name, as she was a ways ahead of us in line, "Caroline" and she turned around and looked over.  I told her that I had met her last year.  She wore a beautiful purple dress that I believe she said her mom made.  It was a funny chance meeting.





















Once we'd thoroughly explored Fantasyland, we were ready for a break for our feet.  So we rode the monorail.  I was ready to go over and enjoy the Expo at the Grand Californian Hotel and they were ready to go off on their own for a bit.  We rode over to Downtown Disney, the closest station for me to pop over to the Expo and made plans to meet back up afterward for evening fun in the California Adventure Park.









My phone had died so I don't have any photos from the Expo, but it was a joyful time of exploration.  There were so many vendors, more than last year.  One of them had all sorts of lovely vintage sewing patterns, so I spent quite a bit of time looking through each of the bins.  I procured these lovelies for future sewing fun.


There was also a vendor that had beautiful jewelry made out of wood.  I'm not sure if it was dye cut, laser cut, or what, but they were masterfully done and then I'm sure hand painted.  I'm surely a fan of anything hand painted, as I was a sign painter for years.  They had a few that were made to go with the Dapper Day spring theme, "it's going to be sweet" and their promotion flyer which had an image of an orange, with blossoms.  It was beautiful and I'll get into it more when I do the dress post for Sarah's Dapper Day attire, because I had dreamed of making a theme dress for the day with fruit fabric.  As a result of their fine work, the event's theme, and the fruit dress that Sarah was wearing, I picked up the pin pictured here, under the Dapper Day pin.


Sarah loved her brooch and when we met back up we started to venture into the adventure park.  At this point it was dark, so photography became harder, but there are a few fun photos for your viewing pleasure.

Here there was a window display for the Dapper Day theme.



The Adventure Park was a blast. We went on some rides that I've been on and some that I never had before.  I had long since exchanged out of my heels for flat slippers so my feet were happier puppies.  We rode a few cars land rides, the carousel of sea creatures, woody's roundup, the little mermaid, and others before calling it a night.

Thank you Sarah & Justin for an amazingly fun adventure and a successful trip in my new dress!





No comments:

Post a Comment