Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Laundry Room

It's Finished!

After a long & patient project, the laundry room is complete.  The original shelves, that ran the length of the wall, were taken out.  The shelf units were thrown out.  The washer & dryer were both masked & painted the new color.  The wall was painted "River Nile" Behr Paint.  Then it sat and wasn't touched for a while.  Granted that gave me plenty of time to look for inspirations & think about what needs had to be met while bringing in a unique & creative feeling to the space.  I was tired of cleaning my clothes where it felt messy and dirty.  Once I painted the walls & washing unit it felt a million times better. 

After a time, I found this lovely "Pin"spiration  and my mom-in-law happened to have an old bunk bed ladder.  So I put this lovely thing together and hung it with white chain.  Then I fell in love with the project.  I went hunting for more Pins and planned out the rest of the space in one sitting. 

A home for lost socks was incorporated while using up some old frames I had long ago saved, but had no clue what I was going to use them for.  They have a small pinstripe of gold and went well with the color theme already in place.  The baskets I was given at the beginning of last year when my brother-in-law passed away and was excited that they were the perfect match & size for the space.  Making a coin bin for loose change and other pocket items removed (hopefully) before the load is thrown in the wash, was very enjoyable.  Adding below it my basket of clothes pins and designing the Laundry saying added some of the final touches.  

I incorporated the image of the clothes pin into the saying so that it would help tie it in with my color scheme and Americana feel.
This shelf addition was great, but the paper towel rolls were just floating from one spot to another or getting stuffed into the one shelf, hoping it would stay.  So to make it look a bit more attractive, add a sense of organization & forethought, I removed the hooks in the center with a bolt cutter.  This was not an easy task and I had to take breaks working on other bits of this project in between.
The dowel I already had from a project long ago.  So I cut it to the size I wanted, painted it the same color as my washer/dryer & the ladder.  Then I sanded & wrapped the metal ends left from cutting them off.  I used electrical tape as it is stretchy and allowed for seamlessly wrapping the sharp edges.  Then I inserted the dowel into my roll and hung it on the remaining hooks.  To good effect too.  It added some medium brown to the only black piece in the design for a finished look.

This is the finished look.  It is so clean and inviting now.  It makes me want to do my laundry right now.  The best thing was painting the washer/dryer and the sink unit.  I am so in love with spray can paint for projects around the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment