Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Purely Pinspirational!

ABC Letters

Welcome back friends for another edition of Purely Pinspirational!  My once weekly Pinterest inspiration to reality posting.  What have I been up to this week you may be asking yourself?  Well, my nephew's birthday is coming up and I'd like to send him something to play with.  I'm not much of a consumer toy buyer.  I like to make unique gifts that I can put my love into. 

He's turning 4 and starting to develop his language skills.  So when I saw this pin about making refrigerator magnet letters with left over material scraps, I couldn't help but fall in love with this idea. 

But to make it more versatile, I'm not going to make them magnetic.  This way they can be played with anywhere.  An alphabet set is what I've been working on, so I'll share with you my progress.


Step 1.  I started by printing out letter stencils by going into one of my programs that I use for sign work.  You can use word and type out the alphabet and make the font really big until it's the size you'd like.  Mine are roughly 3" tall.  Then print them out and cut them out.  This is a little time consuming but I believe it will be worth it in the end.


 Step 2. Pick out your scraps, then pin your letters to the scrap pieces.  Make sure that you have apposing faces on letters that go one way.  You will need two sides for each letter.  


 Step 3.  I've decided to cut the batting  after cutting out my letters but I think it would have been much wiser to cut them along with step 2. 

Step 4.  Put your cut out batting between the wrong sides of your letter faces and pin in place.


Step 5.  Sew around all edges with your desired seam allowance.  Trim threads and batting that may be sticking out.  Voila!  Finished letter.



No comments:

Post a Comment